Ten-men Celtic frustrate Ton

MacWhirter Welsh League Division One

Cwmbran Celtic 0
Ton Pentre 0

TON PENTRE will feel that they missed out on an opportunity to have won all three points in their Welsh League Division One encounter at Cwmbran Celtic. The home team had Owen Cook sent off just before half-time with the Bulldogs also missing a second-half penalty.

The Bulldogs went into this match aware that Cwmbran Celtic had won their last four home league games and although they knew this was going to be a tough challenge, the Rhondda club started the game well.

Josh Evans and Richard Noyes linked well up the right in the 8th minute with Evans sending a lovely cross to the back post. Lewis Hydes connected with the cross but saw his useful shot saved by Celtic goalkeeper Nicky Church.

The Bulldogs had another good chance to score in the 23rd minute when Hydes brought the ball up the left wing before providing Joe Leahy with possession in order to cross into the box. Having sent a dangerous ball in, Jaymie Wearn thought he was going to give Ton Pentre the lead, but as he was about to strike the ball, a Celtic defender took it off his toes.

Ton Pentre were on the attack again three minutes later with a corner kick. The Celtic defence were under pressure from the ball into the box but the home team were able to break and counter-attack. Owen Llewellyn soon found himself free to shoot inside the Ton Pentre 18-yard box and he beat Jonathan Howe with his effort but the ball hit the side-netting.

Celtic were now applying pressure on the Bulldogs and should have scored in the 27th minute following a cross into the box. The Ton Pentre defence and goalkeeper Howe were all forced into leaving the ball unchallenged and fortunately for them two Celtic players also failed to connect. In the 31st minute Chris Ham rounded off another Celtic attack by forcing Howe into a making a vital save ensuring that the scores remained level.

A minute before half-time Cook was sent-off for the home team following a foul he committed on Ton Pentre midfielder Lloyd Toghill, the result of which saw him receive his second yellow card.

With a one man advantage going into the second-half, Ton Pentre were also awarded a penalty in the 57th minute after Shane Brewer’s header from Wearn’s cross forced a defender into handling the ball. Wearn stepped up to take the penalty but Celtic goalkeeper Church saved it much to the home team’s relief.

Five minutes later Wearn had an opportunity to put that disappointment behind him when he was played through into the 18-yard box. With Church off his line, Wearn looked to chip the ball over him but put too much power on the ball and instead sent it high over the crossbar.

Ton Pentre enjoyed most of the second-half possession and created many useful chances but were not ruthless enough and Cwmbran Celtic always looked hopeful of perhaps sneaking a victory in this match and following a defensive mistake two minutes from full-time, this was nearly the case.

With Luke Jones running through on goal Celtic appeared ready to celebrate a dramatic winner, however, Jones fired his shot wide of the goal.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s